This issue of the Session Spotlight provides updates and information on the following issues of interest to school board members:
FSBA is so proud of Florida’s public schools that provided the vast majority of shelters that served and protected our citizens and is so impressed by the school and district personnel for their selfless service as they staffed many of these shelters. As we now face the daunting task of rebuilding and recovering, our schools and personnel will not only resume their academic duties, but will also provide support and comfort to students and their families.
There have been some changes to the membership of several committees and subcommittees in both the House and the Senate. We have updated our key committee contact lists to reflect these changes and have also provided each legislators’ capital phone number in addition to his/her email address, party affiliation, and district number. These revised contact lists are available on our new 2018 Legislative Session page. Among the changes of particular interest:
- Senate Appropriations Committee — Senators Dennis Baxley, Kathleen Passidomo, and Linda Stewart have been added to the membership of the Committee.
- Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on K-12 Education — Senator David Simmons, formerly the chair, has been removed from the Subcommittee. Senator Kathleen Passidomo has been named as the new chair and Senator Greg Steube has been added to the Subcommittee membership.
- Senate Education Committee — Senators Keith Perry and Lauren Book have been added to the membership of the Committee and Senator Anitere Flores has been removed from the Committee.
- House Appropriations Committee – Rep. George Moraitis has been removed as vice chair but remains as a member of the Committee. Rep. Jeanette Nunez has been promoted to vice chair. Reps. Jim Boyd and Dane Eagle have been added and Reps. Jose Felix Diaz and Charlie Stone have been removed from the membership of the Committee.
- House PreK-12 Appropriations Subcommittee – Rep. Randy Fine, formerly the vice chair, has been removed from the Subcommittee. Rep. Byron Donalds has been promoted to vice chair and Rep. Bobby Payne has been added to the membership of the Subcommittee.
- House Education Committee – Rep. Bob Cortes, formerly vice chair, has been removed from the Committee. Rep. Jennifer Sullivan has been promoted to vice chair and Reps. Kimberly Daniels, Jay Fant, Jason Fischer, and Amber Mariano have been added to the membership of the Committee.
- House PreK-12 Innovation Subcommittee – Rep. Jennifer Sullivan has been removed as vice chair but remains as a member of the Subcommittee. Rep. Jason Fischer has been promoted to vice chair. Rep. Ralph Massullo has been added and Rep. Bob Cortes has been removed from the membership of the Subcommittee.
- House Pre-K-12 Quality Subcommittee – Rep. Gayle Harrell has been added and Reps. Bryan Avila and Bobby Payne have been removed from the membership of the Subcommittee.
Interim Legislative Committee Meeting Schedule:
The first round of Interim Legislative Committee Meetings were scheduled for the week of September 12-15, 2017 but these meetings were cancelled due to Hurricane Irma. The remaining Interim Committee Meeting schedule is as follows:
- October 9-13, 2017
- October 23-27, 2017
- November 6-9, 2017
- November 13-17, 2017
- December 4-8, 2017
Other important dates:
- November 14, 2017 — House Appropriation Project Request Form submission deadline
- November 21, 2017 — House Deadline for members to file their first 2 bills
- December 11, 2017 – Governor’s Budget Recommendations due
- January 9, 2018 – House and Senate deadline to file bills for introduction
- January 9, 2018 — 2018 Legislative Session convenes
- March 9, 2018 – 2018 Legislative Session adjourns