Registration: coming soon
Agenda: coming soon
This is a 7-hour training designed to assist individual board members in understanding the full responsibility of policy development and oversight. Participants will receive seven (7) knowledge points in the CBM Program for attending this training session.
“Boards set policy and administrators carry it out.” That is the first thing virtually every school board member learns about the responsibilities of the job. Setting constructive policy is a hallmark of school board effectiveness – and a crucial component of a school system’s success. To develop constructive policy, the school board must operate in a context that supports and vitalizes board decision-making. Policy is the voice of the school board; it speaks when the board is not convened and cannot address an issue directly. Consequently, policy adoption is one of the fundamental roles of school boards in today’s system for governing public education. School boards must establish the direction and organizational structure of their school district through the legislative act of adopting policies.
Registration for this forum is $250 for members and $500 for non-members and includes breakfast, lunch, and coffee breaks. The deadline to register is January 18, 2018.
Registration for this forum is $250 for members and $500 for non-members and includes breakfast, lunch, and coffee breaks.
The deadline to register is January 18, 2018.
The content of this forum is designed to:
- Distinguish the reasons for establishing school district policies.
- Determine the school board’s role in policymaking.
- Identify the characteristics of school board policies.
- Examine the elements for success in achieving policy power.
- Discuss the difference between policy and regulations/procedures.
- Learn the specifics of a step-by-step approach for policy adoption, including statutory parameters.
- Understand the relationship between policy adoption and strategic planning in establishing priorities and budget initiatives which support the shared vision of the school district.
- Discuss the key components to effective policy development, adoption and maintenance, and the importance of keeping the district policy manual updated.
- Explore methods of informing the public about school district policies.