Winning the Q&A Game: How to Keep Cool and Keep Control
Pre-Conference Session | Wednesday, June 7, 2023 | 2:15 – 3:15 PM (A la carte: $39 for Members | $89 for Non-Members)
People have questions for today’s school leaders – frequently uncomfortable questions. And those questions may come from an education reporter, parents at a board meeting or an acquaintance who stops you in a parking lot. Are you prepared to tell the truth – fast, before the falsehoods fill up Facebook? Will your answers be consistent with your district’s messages? Will you know how to protect your district’s reputation – and your reputation?
This one-hour interactive workshop, including mock interviews, will help you prepare for any situation involving a Q&A. Thom Fladung, managing partner of Hennes Communications in Cleveland, Ohio, and a 33-year veteran of daily newspapers, emphasizes practical instruction, pragmatic tips and best practices that you can put into play immediately.
- Establishing and maintaining “control of your message”
- Developing memorable, quotable key messages
- Anticipating the toughest questions and preparing effective answers
- Pivoting back to key messages with “bridging phrases”
- Applying principles learned from media interview preparation steps to Q&A sessions at any meeting or presentation.
- How to prepare for an interview or public speaking event
- Conceiving and delivering key messages
- Maintaining control of your story