Tallahassee will see chilly temperatures, high winds, and significantly more bill action during Week 3 of Interim Committee Meetings. See highlights for the week in our calendar report.
- Monday’s schedule is relatively light, but SB 78 Dues and Uniform Assessments will be heard in Senate Judiciary. If passed, this bill would affect how unions (including teacher unions) can collect dues.
- Tuesday will kick off with Senate Appropriations receiving an update on Federal Assistance Related to COVID-19 by the Governor’s Office of Policy and Budget.
- Wednesday’s schedule includes Senate Education’s meeting where SB 48 (DIAZ) Educational Scholarship Programs will be heard, as well as SB 146 (Brandes) Civic Education, SB 282 (Baxley) Moments of Silence in Public Schools, and SB 200 (Berman) Student Retention. Expect much debate over SB 48, a 158 page bill combining Florida’s current voucher programs into two education savings accounts and expanding eligibility and funding for these vouchers.
- House Appropriations will here a similar budget report to Senate Appropriations’ Tuesday meeting
- HB 7 (McClure) Civil Liability for Damages Relating to Covid-19 will be heard in House Pandemic & Public Emergencies Committee — this version also includes education institutions. Reach out to Rep. McClure to thank him for his effort to protect not only businesses and healthcare practitioners, but schools too!
- Senate Ed Appropriations will here a presentation on the Governor’s Fiscal Year Budget Reductions from DOE, OEL, and BOG
- House Civil Justice & Property Rights will hear HB 35 Legal Notices (FINE) which would provide the ability for fiscally constrained counties to publish legally required advertisements and public notices on a website
- Thursday’s schedule includes several bills on FRS and retirement during the Senate Governmental Oversight & Accountability Committee, as well as the House’s most recent literacy initiative, HB 3 Home Book Delivery for Elementary Students (Trabulsy) during their Early Learning & Elementary Education Subcommittee.